Tuesday, June 15, 2010

OUTDOOR WEDNESDAY







It's that time again~~Outdoor Wednesday over at A Southern Daydreamer.
Be sure and check out all the great outdoor posts!

While I am on the road I always take my camera and I enjoy taking pictures of courthouses. Above are pictures of Coryell County Courthouse in Gatesville, Texas. It was completed in 1898 and is constructed of native limestone and Pecos Sandstone. It is an outstanding example of Second Empire Victorian Style. Built by Wesley Clark Dodson, it was a change from his usual style. Coryell County Courthouse is listed on The National Register of Historicplaces. You can read more about it here.










This courthouse is one of my favorites, not just for the style but the color also. This is Hill County Courthouse in Hillsboro, Texas. It was also designed by W.C. Dobson. It was a merging of Second Empire, Classical Revival, and Italianate features-it was quite controversial at the time-strong likes and dislikes. But in the end, were proud of their courthouse. The three story structure is made of limestone and has a tower in the middle that rises seven stories. In 1993 the courthouse caught fire and much was destroyed. Since there were no blueprints, the restoration architects looked at Granbury's 1890 courthouse which was also designed by Dobson, and interviewed those who worked at the courthouse and decided how the "new" courthouse would look. More can be read abot it here. It was rebuilt to its original splendor. I think it is a beautiful building!
Do you think there are any of these up under the eaves somewhere???? Love those serious looking faces!! LOL





7 comments:

Average Girl said...

those buildings are so incredibly grand... great pics!

Shirley said...

Beautiful buildings. I knew they were from Texas before reading! The little swallows look upset : ))

a quiet life said...

gorgeous~

Olga Poltava said...

How beautiful these buildings are! I like the sky in the second picture; so pretty.

It's Just Dottie said...

You take the greatest photos. I am just learning. I loved all the old buildings. I grew up in a small Texas town and so many of the buildings and also homes were very old and grand. Our home was build in the early 1900's out of lumber that washed up after the Great Storm in Galveston.
Dottie

Light and Voices said...

I love the faces. They brought a smile to my face.
Joyce M

Ms. Bake-it said...

Texas has some really gorgeous courthouses. I saw a few of them when I lived there for a few years. I love old buildings and learning about their history.

Cute birds!